In This Section
I Want To ...
For information in...
Find a Physician
From a family practitioner to the most sophisticated neurologists, JFK Medical Center's staff includes some of the most highly respected physicians in the northeast. For a referral to a JFK physician, click here.
Jawad F. Kirmani, MD
Area of Specialty:Stroke, Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology, Neurocritical Care.
Professional Appointments: Director, Comprehensive Stroke Center; JFK Medical Center
Academic Appointments: Associate Professor, Seton Hall University; School of Health and Medical Sciences
Graduate Education: Fellowships: 2003-05 Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology training, Departments of Neurology and Neurosciences, Department of Neurosurgery, Department of Radiology; Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Newark, NJ. 2001-03 Neurocritical Care/Stroke fellowship, Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery, State University of New York (SUNY), Buffalo, NY. 2000-01 Chief Resident Neurology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. 1998-01 Neurology residency training, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. 1997-98 Internal Medicine Internship, Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, OH.
Medical School: 1995 M.B., B.S. The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH), Karachi, Pakistan.
Specialty Board Certification: 2007 Neurocritical Care Subspecialty Certification, UCNS Board Certified (00246-07 expires 2017). 2006 American Board of Vascular Neurology, Board Cerified (305, expires 2016). 2006 Comprehensive Examination in MRI/CT, American Society of Neuroimaging (9th April, 2006). 2003 American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry, Board Certified (52284, expires 2013).
Research Interest: Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology, Ischemic Stroke, Neurocritical Care, Intracerebral Hemorrhage, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Neurocardiac Neurology, and Interventional Neurology. Research interest in basic science models, clinical trials and device development.
Professional Memberships: Founding Member Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology (SVIN). Board of Directors, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology (SVIN). Senior Member American Academy of Neurology (AAN). Active Member American Society of Neuroimaging (ASN). Member American Medical Association (AMA). Member American Heart Association (AHA), American Stroke Association (ASA). Member Neurocritical Care Society.
Honors and Awards: 2009 2008 Patients Choice Award, January 30th, 2009. Selected as New Jersey`s favorite Neurology Physician. 2008 Excellence in Neurologic Education (AB Baker Recognition Award) by American Academy of Neurology, April 14, 2008, at the 60th AAN Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL 2005 Frances Black Humanatarian Award in Health Care, New Jersey. 2005 AMA Foundation Leadership Award 2004 Zeenat Qureshi Award. Excellence in research in diagnostic angiography or endovascular procedures, sponsored by American Society of Neuroimaging. 2001 Gary Wise Award for excellence in research in Neurology at the Ohio State University. 2001 David Kotlarek Award for excellence in patient-care at the Ohio State University.
1. Hassan A, Zacharatos H, Hassanzadeh B, El-Gengaihy A, Alkawi A, Shhadeh A, Kirmani JF: Does Mild Deficit for patients with Stroke justify the use of Intravenous tissue plasiminogen activator? Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. May 12th, 2009.
2. Yahia AM, Shaukat A, Kirmani JF, Ezzeddine MA, Qureshi AI. Prevelance and prediction of left atrial thrombus in patients with a recent cerebral ischemic event, who are in sinus rhythm. A single center experience. Journal of Neuroimaging April 15th, 2009. (epub ahead of print)
3. Janjua N, Alkawi A, Georgiadis A, Kirmani JF, Qureshi Al: Covered stent graft for the treatment of pseudoaneurysm and carotid blowout syndrome. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Neurology. 2008 (1): 5-8.
4. Qureshi Al, Kirmani JF, Hussein HM, Harris-Lane P, Divani AA, Suri MF, Janjua N, Alkawi A: Early and intermediate-term outcomes with drug-eluting stents in high-risk patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis; discussion 1051. Neurosurgery. 2006 59(5):1044-51.
5. Qureshi Al, Kirmani JF, Harris-Lane P, Divani AA, Ahmed S, Ebrihimi A, Al Kawa A, Janjua N: Vertebral artery origin stent placement with distal protection; technical and clinical results. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 27(5): 1140-5.
6. Kirmani JF, Alkawi A, Ahmed S, Janjua N, Khatri I, Divani AA, Qureshi Al: Endovascular treatment subarachnoid hemorrhage. Review. Neurol Res. 2005 (27) Suppl 1:S103-7.
7. Kirmani JF, Janjua N, Alkawi A, Khatri I, Ahmed S, Ebrahimi A, Divani AA, Qureshi Al: Theraputic Advances in Interventional Neurology. NeuroRx; 2005 2: 304-323.